Mumbai is located in the western part of Indian state of Maharashtra. The cities geographical co-ordinates are 18°58’30?N 72°49’33? E. The distance of Mumbai is about 1,150 Km from Delhi, the capital of India.
Where is Mumbai located in Maharashtra India
Know where is Mumbai located in Maharashtra India on Google Map
Facts about Mumbai
|Came in existence||1507|
|Previous name any||Bom Baia (Bombay)|
|Area of Megacity||603.4 sq km (233 sq mi)|
|Area of Metro||4,355 sq km (1,681.5 sq mi)|
|Population (Megacity)||12,478,447 (2011)|
|Population Density||21,000/sq km (53,000/sq mi) |
|Lat Long||18°58’30?N 72°49’33?E|
|Name of Monuments||The Gateway of india, Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus, Thomas Cathedral, Elephanta Caves, Town Hall, Flora Fountain, Mani Bhavan Museum, Kanheri caves|
|Places to Visit||ISKCON Temple- Mumbai, Marine Drive, Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Vastu Sangrahalaya, Hanging Gardens, Adlabs Aquamagica, Shree Siddhivinayak Temple, Haji Ali Dargah|
|Time Zone||IST (UTC+5:30)|
|Zip Code Start||400 001 to 400 107|
|Languages||Marathi, Konkani, Hindi, English|
|Transportation||Bus, Train, Taxi, Metro|
|Rivers||Dahisar River, Mithi River, Oshiwara River, Poisar River and Ulhas River|
|Lake(s)||Tulsi, Vihar and Powai|
|Airport(s)||Chhatrapati Shivaji Airport|
Amazing Facts about Mumbai
- Mumbai was called Bombay till 1995.
- The city was renamed to Mumbai after goddess Mumba, the local incarnation of the Devi.
- Two oldest but well-known names for this city are Kakamuchee and Galajunkja.
- Portuguese writer Gaspar Correia used the name Bombaim for this city, so Bombay name came in existence.
Unknown Facts about Mumbai
- City was known as Mombayn (1525), Bombay (1538), Bombain (1552), Bombaym (1552), Monbaym (1554), Mombaim (1563), Mombaym (1644), Bambaye (1666), Bombaiim (1666), Bombeye (1676), Boon Bay (1690), and Bon Bahia.
- Ali Muhammad Khan, imperial diwan cum revenue minister of the Gujarat province, in his book Mirat-i-Ahmedi (1762) referred this city as Manbai.
- The residents of Mumbai are called mumbaikar in the Marathi language.
- Mumbai city is built on what was once an archipelago of seven seperate islands namely Bombay Island, Parel, Mazagaon, Mahim, Colaba, Worli, and Old Woman’s Island.